Friday, March 06, 2009

Some comments I want to make, or even a reflection.

Hey Marists, this is Seung Hwa. I just want to tell you all about my opinion for our band and SYF.

I realised that the members are not improving much, maybe it's because of not practicing, not being serious or practicing wrong stuffs. Therefore, I want to beg you please, please make some time for practicing your own instruments.

A simple practice can be very effective, such as playing long notes. (seems like I am repeating the same thing as MrChiang, Fredy and all other alumnis...)
Just spend at least 1 hour on simple exercise. It will help you a lot.

Second point, let me tell you SYF is not just a national schools' competition. It is  much more complicated than that. For those who think that participating in SYF will give you CCA points, it is time to change your thinking concept. Like what Fredy and Mr Chiang said, SYF will change your destiny a lot.
Here is an example, I am very sure that there are band members who wants to enter JC via DSA, but think carefully. If you were a conductor of a JC band, would you choose a player who is in a "Gold with Honours" band or a "Silver" band? Some of you may think that such award would not change much of the "musical quality" of that player. You are wrong. It is a matter of psychology. Seriously, a player who plays fantastic in a "Silver" band may not sound as good. It is because conductors will focus more on the bad qualities, which is to say find him/her hopeless.

Third point, the Sec 4 seniors are practicing as hard as possible in order to sustain the achievement from the previous years. Yes, they have more experience than you all but some juniors (Sec 1 to 3s) are already playing as good as them.  Why can't you? Seriously, it is a matter of practice. Please do not waste the effort the Sec 4s have made. They are sacrificing the most time. They have GCE 'O' Level, for god's sake. Many alumnis who practiced a lot during their days went to good JCs, including RJC, VJC and NJC. Don't think that practicing instruments will affect your studies. The factor that affects your studies is ONLINE GAMES, seriously. What can online games help you in your exams? There's nothing much.
If our band cannot clinch the "Gold" award this year, I'll say that the Sec 4s are the ones who deserve to be punished the most. Why? Think for yourself. Hence, don't waste your time playing games. Change your toys from games to instruments.

Today, at about 7pm, I met with the AMKSS Band, who got "Gold with Honours". I am living just 10-20m away from the band room, and my primary school band seniors and friends are there. I hear them playing every single day, from 2pm to 6.30pm. They are almost perfect, especially the French Horns. Let me tell you, they practice both Overture No.1 and Overture No.2 during sectionals, even though the band chose No. 2. I think it is because they are already very confident in getting at least a  "Gold" award.

I asked them how they could play so well.
Here are the reasons:
1. They take their practices very seriously, and they practice with metronomes during sectionals. As I "peeped into" them during sectionals, none of them are talking or laughing and giggling, especially the SLs. The band do not talk, laugh or smile during full band too. They only laugh after the band practice.
2.They take SYF very seriously. They already know what is going to happen if they don't put much effort for this competition.
3. They are always confident and optimistic. They will never ever think that the band would get "Silver". Their target is not "Gold with Honours" but "Top Band in Singapore".
4. They always have SUPER HIGH energy level. The conductors or the majors do not scold the band or even insult, they just comment and suggest, not because they are playing very good, but to ensure that no one gets pissed off by anyone, especially the majors.

I seriously hope that you all can learn something from the AMKSS band. It is time to take SYF very seriously.

by Seung Hwa


P.S. For those who like to give nicknames to band members, better stop your habit. It would let the "victim" unhappy, or even depressed. So please do not call me "Jesus" amymore. It is an insult to my religion. Furthermore, I am not the one who made such nickname. For those of you who take this message as a joke, we'll see about that.

No comments: